Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Who Inspires You?

I posted my article, "The Secret To MLM Success" in one or two of the online forums in which I participate. I never know what kind of response I will receive when I post an article out there. Well, the feedback I have been getting from this one has been incredible. The most common adjective that comes to mind is, Inspiring. This prompted me to write and post a little more about a man who is somewhat of a hero to me, "Pistol Pete Maravich." He almost singlehandedly revolutionized the game of basketball. But it was his dedication, his faith, his desire to let nothing stand in his way and prevent him from being the best he could possibly be that is truly inspiring. That phrase "This is Inspiring," keeps coming up over. Here is my response. Enjoy.

Yes it is, ______. I will not ever forget seeing him play. He was one in a million, a skinny white kid who looked like he would break in half if someone ran into him. But once he stepped onto a basketball court, he was poetry in motion. His shooting ability was matched only by his ball handling and passing skill. He would make some of the most incredible passes that teammates would miss because no one would ever expect that a pass that good was even possible.

But what I said about Pete in my post above is only part of the story. The rest of the story (Oh man, now I sound like Paul Harvey, LOL!) is even more inspiring. His dad, Press Maravich, was was a successful college basketball coach and former college and professional player. When Pete was growing up, he found a passion for the game that fueled the most amazing, even legendary work ethic. He was determined to be the best that had ever been.

His unwavering dedication, the superior knowledge of the game of basketball he gained from his father along with hours upon hours upon hours, usually late into the evening, spent working on ball handling, passing and shooting drills, also learned from his father all combined to produce the most incredible and unstoppable force the game had ever seen.

It is this dedication and tireless and relentless practice and work ethic that comes to mind now, as I reflect upon my post, above. The fans only saw the end result, and as awesome as that was, it pales in comparison to the work ethic and dedication that got him there. His confidence, his skill, his ability to take over a game and carry his team upon his shoulders were only the tip of the iceberg. So, when a bad game would come, and they always do, he would just keep right on doing the things he knew would get him through it and the law of averages, which it always does, would turn in his favor. Success and the turn of the tide, was always only one "jump shot" away.

It's important that we have people in our lives that inspire us to keep on keeping on, when it looks hopeless, when everyone else says "just give up, it's impossible," when nothing seems to be going right. I have had many such people over the years, to inspire me, the greatest of all being my Father, truly the best man I have ever known! Another is "Pistol Pete Maravich," the greatest player I have ever seen play the game of basketball. My quesiton to you, the reader, is "Who Inspires You?"

No comments: