Tuesday, March 2, 2010

How High Is Your Mountain?

Today, I would like to start out with a quote from a new found friend, Jeff Holmers. Jeff is the person responsible for me rediscovering my faith in people and in working as one team toward one common goal. That's another story for another day. Suffice it to say that I would not be a part of the Presidential Group in TVI if it weren't for Jeff. So back to my story. I saw this quote while scrolling through the past few days of team conversation in Skype.

To most, it may sound a bit corny, and well I guess it is. But so many of the sayings that influence our lives, "God Bless America," "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you," "It's better to give than to receive," "The customer is always right," sound corny but ring true! My personal favorite is, "Everything I need to know in life, I learned in Kindergarten." If you think about it, that's a very profound statement. Simple yes, but profound. But then most true wisdom is simple, yet profound. Just spend some time in the book of Proverbs and you'll see what I mean. So, back to my story. Sorry if I get a bit verbose, it's a bad habit of mine. I get it honest, I'm the son of an English Teacher.


Here's the quote.


"MOUNTAINS ARE CLIMBED ONE STEP AT A TIME. Everyone who got where they are had to begin where they were. Your opportunity for success is right in front of you. To attain success or to reach your goal, don't worry about having all the answers in advance. You just need to have a clear idea of your goal and move toward it. So what are you waiting for? Go for it!"

The wisdom in this quote is indeed profound. There are at least two very sound principles at work, here. I'm sure some of you will see more, but these two jumped off the page at me.

First, everyone, no matter who they are, no matter how smart, how gifted, how wealthy, how successful, had to start at the beginning. There is NO other starting point. They had to learn, study, practice, and most importantly, fail. Did I say fail? Yes, I did. Thomas Edison said it this way when a lab assistant exclaimed in total exasperation after their attempt at creating the light bulb failed for the umpteenth time. Yes, I did say "umpteenth." That's a real number, you know. Anyway, Edison responded with "no, we haven't failed at all, we have just found one more way that won't work!" What he meant of course was that they were that much closer to finding the one that would.

The second point that struck a chord with me is this. You don't have to have it all worked out beforehand. You don't have to have all the answers. But you DO have to have vision. There's an interesting quote in The Bible, not sure of the exact chapter and verse, but it goes like this. "without a vision, the people perish." Without a vision, a goal, a strong, all consuming "Why," you will not succeed. You will just go around stumbling in the dark, become lost, discouraged, and eventually you will give up. It's inevitable. This is true in business, in relationships, in your walk with God, in life.

So if you have not taken the time to do it yet, stop everything, get alone with yourself and do some intense, soul-searching. Find your vision. Find your "WHY." Write it down, tape it to your refrigerator door or your bedroom mirror (that's where mine is taped up) and every morning when you get up and every night when you lie down, read and say it aloud. Second, stop procrastinating, and as Jeff so succinctly put it, stop waiting and Go For It! It doesn't matter how high the mountain, or how lofty the goal. With these two principles in action, you WILL achieve it. Will you stumble along the way? Sure, but that doesn't matter. Keep going and you WILL realize your dream. It's inevitable.

10 comments:

BobH said...

You are absolutely right Philip. When I started my online career a couple of years ago I didn't have a strong enough 'why' and had very little success. Once I developed my strong 'why' then the last piece of the puzzle was finding a team to work with and I found it in The Presidential Group of TVI.

Jocelyn Jones said...

Hi Mitch, My Mountain is Extremely High, yet it seems to be getting smaller and smaller everyday. I take steps towards the top and with the Leadership and Support of The Presidential Group of TVI there "Ain't no mountain high enough" That I can't climb!

200 Coffee Filters said...

Great Article Mitch! I think a person's "Why" is making their specific goal an obsession. Like you said, Write it down. Read it every day. Think about it until it becomes as much a part of you as breathing. – think of the Olympic Gold athletes – these past 17 days with the Winter Olympics made me really think about how those young people set their "Why". BTW - I'm so glad your blog is back up and running - I used to really enjoy reading all your articles and look forward to many more! God bless, Thora

Mariann G said...

Great article Mitch. Without a "why" one doesnt have much direction.
The direction this team is taking is truly leaving nobody behind. Together we will travel this road and all of us will succeed. The support and the leadership that is given is a blessing.

Anonymous said...

Wow, great article. It was right on target. My "Why" is very clear, but I have struggled with the "how" to go about achieving it. One thing is for sure I have a dream to work from home and be successful so I trek up that mountain one step at a time. TVI Presidential Group plays a big role in helping each of us to achieve the success we desire.

Unknown said...

Excellent article Mitch, well said!! My father would definitely approve also. He was a minister, not an English Professor, but I have two daughters who are English Professors and I think they too would like the way you have put this. One step at a time. I love it because I am just about to scale that first mountain and reach the lofty $10,000 payday in TVI. Literally any day now, but I met a person this week, an extremely capable person, who just could not see himself climbing that mountain. He thought it was too much for him, too far a journey, he would never make it to the top. He could not grasp your concept of concentrating firmly on a goal, one step at a time, until it is reached. It does take great vision. Keep it up.

Carolyn Duplissey said...

thank you for this article Phillip. It speaks for itself. We can say without a doubt TVI is our High and we stand united no one is left behind. It is worth the climb. God bless,

Unknown said...

This climb up the mountain just became much easier with your thoughts and The Presidential Group. Thank you so much!

Michelle Swanson said...

For anyone to succeed and reap the rewards, they need to have a plan and a "why". The Presidential Group of TVI North America answers that why. Great leadership, great group, great support...no one will lose in this opportunity! Everything fits together for a bright future for you and your family.

Anonymous said...

It depends how high are your dreams and how good are your skills ... :)
Great blog, thanks for sharing

carpet cleaning Sydney

carpet cleaners Sydney

home cleaning Sydney

house cleaning Sydney